Seal: Washington, Connecticut; Founded 1779
The Town of Washington, Connecticut

Inland Wetlands Commission

Office: Lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall

Hours: Monday Friday, 9:00AM 5:00PM
It is wise to call before stopping in if you want to talk with the Wetlands Enforcement Officer because he is often in the field doing inspections. Forms and materials can be picked up outside the office weekdays from 9-5.

Telephone: 860-868-0423

Fax: 860-868-2819
Note that several departments share this fax line, so be sure to address your document clearly!


Forms: See our Forms page for application forms

U.S. Mail Address:
Inland Wetlands Commission
Town of Washington
P.O. Box 383
Washington Depot, CT 06794

Street Address:
Inland Wetlands Commission
Town of Washington
2 Bryan Plaza
Washington Depot, CT 06794

Appointed Officials: (3-year term)
Anthony Bedini, Chairman
Steve Wadelton, Vice Chairman
Charles LaMuniere
Bob Papsin
Margaret Cheney
Tony Martino, Alternate
Laird Davis,Alternate
Vacant, Alternate

Janet Hill, Land Use Administrator
Michael Ajello, Enforcement Officer

Meeting Dates:

The commission generally meets the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 7:00 PM in the Land Use Meeting Room on the lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall.
Please see the Town Calendar for possible schedule exceptions, for instance because of holidays. Also be sure to check Public & Legal Notices for possible last minute schedule changes.

Minutes of previous meetings are available online.


All activities in wetlands and watercourses, or within 100 feet of wetlands and watercourses, are regulated. This means that everybody needs a permit from the IWC before starting any work in these areas. Regulated activities include, but are not limited to, cutting trees or clearing the understory, grubbing, grading, paving, excavation, filling, depositing or removing of material, discharging storm water, and all septic work within 100 feet of a wetlands or watercourse requires an Inland Wetlands permit.
Please Note: Issuance of a permit from the Health Department does not release a property owner from his responsibility to obtain the required Inland Wetlands permit.

that you consult the "Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Regulations of the Town of Washington, CT", ( 34 pages) effective February 3, 2009

And the

"Applicants Guide to Completing and Processing Applications for Inland Wetlands Permits" ( 4 pages) Revised April 8, 2009

Prior to beginning any project on your land that might involve a wetland or watercourse or fall within the 100 ft regulated area.

Other Commissions:

See our Land Use Brochure ( 16 pages) for an overview of land use in Washington.

Land use issues may involve one or more Town departments. See Land Use Commissions for general information about:

Annual Reports:

See the Town Annual Report for yearly reports on the activities of the Inland Wetlands Commission.

Web page last updated: January 17, 2013