The Town of Washington, Connecticut
Office: Lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall
Hours: Wed, Thurs, Fri. 9-5,
• Shelley White, Secretary
Telephone: 860-868-0423 Fax: 860-868-2819
Note that several departments share this fax line, so be sure to address your document clearly!
Forms: See our Forms page for application forms
New Preston Open Space
U.S. Mail Address:
Town of Washington
P.O. Box 383
Washington Depot, CT 06794
Buffer Easement, Corner of Uppper Church Hill
and Popple Swamp Roads
• Susan Payne, Chairman
• Linda Frank, Vice Chairman
• Diane M. Dupuis,
• Phillip Markert
• Randy Bernard
• Elizabeth Corrigan, alt.
• Ann P. Quackenbos, alt. • Dirk Sabin, alt.
Buffer Easement, West Churchill Road
Meeting Dates:Generally, the first Wednesday of each month at 5:00 PM in the Land Use Meeting Room on the lower level of Bryan Memorial Town Hall. See the Town Calendar for possible schedule exceptions, for instance because of holidays. Also be sure to check Public & Legal Notices for possible last minute schedule changes.
Minutes of previous meetings are available online.
- Conservation Commission Open Space Map 2012 ( 1 page)
- Open Space Plan revised August 6, 2003 ( 27 pages)
- Conservation Easement Guidelines ( 1 page)
- Invasive Plants of Washington
- Avoiding Bear Encounters
- Best Available Practices: Stone Walls
- Streamside Buffering
- Introduction to a Pest - Emerald Ash Borer
- What is that Purple Thing Hanging in a Tree?
- Update on L.U.S.T. (Leaking Underground Storage Tanks)
Permits:The Conservation Commission does not issue permits; it reviews applications referred to it by the other land use commissions.
Town of Washington – Scenic Roads
- 12/2/03 Turner Road
- 3/2/04 Buffum Road
- 4/6/04 Gunn Hill Road (.9 mile)
- 8/3/04 Shinar Mountain Road
- 10/5/04 Senff Road
- 11/3/04 Walker Brook Road
- 2/1/05 West Morris Road
- 4/5/05 Sunny Ridge Road (Rt. 109 south)
- 8/2/05 Hinkle Road
- 10/4/05 Wheaton Road
- 5/3/06 Nettleton Hollow Road
- 9/6/06 Rabbit Hill Road
- 12/2/06 Couch Road
- 3/4/08 Whittlesey Road
For information on including other roads in the Town of Washington as Scenic Roads,
Please refer to the Planning Commission page.
Other Commissions:See our Land Use Brochure ( 16 pages) for an overview of land use in Washington.
Land use issues may involve one or more Town departments. See Land Use Commissions for general information about:
- Conservation Commission
- Historic District Commission
- Inland Wetlands Commission
- Planning Commission
- Zoning Commission
- Zoning Board of Appeals
See the Town Annual Report for yearly reports on the activities of the Conservation Commission.
Dry Stacked Stone Walls Vegitated Buffer No Vegitated Buffer